Givenchy Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver - Scented review

"The Poetry of a Winter Fragrance" is a beautiful tale with an elegant Rose complimented by Christmas Scents and a little bit of Magic.    





Name: Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver
Brand: Givenchy 
Concentration: Eau de Parfum
Year of launching: 2010/2011
Production: Limited Edition
Persistence: Great
Sillage: Great
Notes:
Top notes: Gingerbread, Candied Orange, Honey
Heart notes: Rose, Cinnamon, Star Anise
Base notes: Vanilla*The perfume notes have been written as described on Basenotes.


Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver (The Poetry of a Winter Fragrance) stays true to its parent “Very Irresistible” Rose gene but stands on its own feet as very good Christmas Season flanker. Givenchy Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver has a smooth personality, gives a nice warm feeling and lingers elegantly without overpowering. Personally, I expected a wave of sweetness but it smells mildly sweet.

One might not expect a floral fragrance could smell warm and cosy but Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver is very harmonious combining Roses with Orange and Ginger. The Roses provided the fragrance with elegance, the Ginger note is stripped of its normal spiciness; it is still very flavorful and recognisable but it’s completely under the Orange’s spell. The Orange note smells like the Candied Orange Peel dessert.

Photo by Artist Jez Timms on Unsplash

Givenchy took the notes (Ginger and Orange) that are generally associated with Christmas and incorporated them alongside a Rose hybrid of Very Irresistible and Very Irresistible Intense. The whole combination could have smelled stereotypical or even bland but magically it does not. It smells pleasant and it does have that Christmas cheer in a very elegant, sophisticated way.

I associate Givenchy Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver with Tchaikovsky’s “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” from “The Nutcracker”. Not just the music made me associate it with this perfume but the perfect harmony in the performance of Lauren Cuthbertson (the principal dancer with The Royal Ballet in London).

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker (The Royal Ballet)


I was thinking to myself that Givenchy Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver could be easily worn by the performing ballerina. After my initial thought, I read a little about Lauren Cuthbertson and discovered that she does not shy away from perfumes when performing.

The Guardian in their 2017 article “The spray's the thing: how actors use perfumes to get into character have written this: “The ballerina Lauren Cuthbertson works with a perfumer, sometimes over months, to devise the perfect scent for her roles with the Royal Ballet. “I learn a lot when I work with her,” she once told me. “I talk it all through, from the beginning to the end of the ballet, while she asks many questions. There was a moment in act two of Giselle” – where the heroine appears as a spirit – “which she captured unbelievably. I’d said I wanted to feel like there was a veil or gauze over me, and she did it in scent.”

In a 2017 interview for the Financial Review, Lauren Cuthbertson has personally confirmed her love for scents: “I've always loved scent. When I was 11, I begged my mum for a perfume and as a special treat she gave me Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden. I was once walking on stage, wearing something like either DKNY or Tommy Hilfiger, and it didn't match what I was wearing – a beautiful green sparkly fairy tutu outfit for the Prologue of The Sleeping Beauty. It just didn't feel right. So I stopped wearing perfume for performing. A few years on, I really wanted to wear a scent on stage, but something matched with each character I'm performing. I used to hang out in all the perfume halls and think about my roles. Then I met a perfumer and she was inspired by the idea and we came up with unique scents for all my ballets. It's a lovely character research thing to do, as you have to articulate their journey to create the perfume. She now stores all of the precise formulas for me for when a ballet comes back into the season.”

I must admit, it felt like a magic moment, I love pairing perfumes with music, art, etc. but pairing it with a ballet performed by a ballerina that shares a loves for perfumes still feels like a very unique and intense feeling.


Let’s talk about the packaging:

Givenchy Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver has kept the same bottle from the “Very Irresistible” line but unlike the original or other flankers, it is transparent and adorned with golden copper elements.

The beautiful detail on the bottle consisting of a trail of little stars makes it look like the Fairies from Walt Disney's Fantasia have flown close to the bottle and graced it with some Fairy Dust.

Disney Fantasia "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy"


Very Irresistible Poesie D'Un Parfum D'Hiver, in my opinion, could have been a flanker available as a limited edition for the Holiday Season. Maybe with a slightly different bottle for every edition in the same way Viktor&Rolf launches a limited edition Flowerbomb for Christmas each year. A good flanker should not live such a short life.


Source: Fragrantica
( I do not own this photo. 
The Copyright belongs to its rightful Owner: Author Unknown)


In the end, I would like to add a small advice to my Dear Reader. Perfume is like a work of art, it strikes different chords within each individual. The interpretation of a work of art is very personal, profound and unique for each and every human being. If possible, test a perfume for yourself after reading a review. Also, do not forget to Love, Enjoy and Wear your Perfume of choice Proudly.


What is your favourite Givenchy Very Irresistible flanker? Let me know in the comment section.  



Thank you for reading this Scented Review and I wish you a Beautifully Scented Day! 


Disclaimer: My own scented opinion. Review based upon a bottle from my own collection.



SOURCES:



Images:

Fragrantica.com [Accessed 03th January 2018]
Unsplash.com [Accessed 03th January 2018]



Information: 

Basenotes.net [Accessed 03th January 2018]

TheGuardian.com [Accessed 03th January 2018]

Financial Review [Accessed 03th January 2018]

Comments

Popular Scented Posts