Escada Sport Spirit - Scented Review

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Escada Sport Spirit brings the fruity aromatic punch, jumps to energetically fresh but with a dash of aquatic soapiness. 



Name: Sport Spirit
Brand: Escada
Concentration: Eau de Toilette
Year of launching: 1996
Production: Discontinued
Persistence: Average
Sillage: Good
Notes:
Top notes: Lavender, Mandarin Orange, Juniper
Heart notes: Rosemary, Sage
Base notes: Grapefruit, Geranium, Lemon *The perfume notes have been written as described on Fragrantica

Escada Sport Spirit smells like a fruity punch with green Lovage on top, a dash of soapiness, a dash of elegance, a dash of fresh out of the shower, some aquatic vibes and a pinch of clear chaos all in one bottle! Have I lost you already? I've been feeling lost myself, in this chaotic maze that Escada Sport Spirit is.
I am a massive fan of Lovage, it smells great, it makes food taste great but it is quite strange in this combination, while the given notes on Fragrantica, are Lavender, Sage, Juniper etc. I smell nothing of the sort, only Lovage, strong, fragrant and slightly salty. I am almost certain the combo between Lavender and Sage tricks and confuses my nose into thinking it is sensing Lovage.

I feel the "Lovage" note creates an imbalance in the composition and I must admit I would have like better without it. Smells so much better when this note is absent. Escada Sport Spirit is sort of citrusy but smells more like an indistinguishable fruit punch with an aquatic soapy smell and a woodsy base.
Photo by Artist Wendy Aros-Routman on Unsplash

I personally feel that Escada Sport Spirit lacks balance, it smells like it had some balance but somehow it got lost on the way. It smells better inside the bottle because I detected more of the fruitiness and less of the "Lovage". I wondered if maybe it went a little haywire on my skin so I also tried it on fabric. On fabric, the "Lovage" note is not as strong and subsides to an undertone while the fruity punch takes its place on the throne. It also lacks in coherence, it seems like it is stumbling on its own notes. I do love a fragrance that has facets, but Sport Spirit's facets are difficult to follow, it's like a carousel ride gone bad, spins round and round, but every time the carousel spins the scenery is completely different. Now it smells fruity, then the “Lovage” shows its teeth, give it another sniff and it smells soapy and elegant. Sniff it a few seconds later and the fruity notes will show up, then an aquatic note, followed by the “Lovage”, sniff it again and another of these facets will pop up. A bit of harmony between facets would have made Sport Spirit smell better and a lot more interesting.

Escada Sport Spirit is labelled/categorized on Fragrantica as a "Citrus-Aromatic", I am not usually keen on categories and labels but this time I will say the label sticks, like the old saying "If the cap/shoe fits…". The problem, in my opinion, consists in the "Aromatic" department. Too much Aromatic sealed the deal and not in the best of ways. Just Two aromatic notes would have sufficed, for example, just the Juniper and Lavender notes and skip the Sage note completely.

I believe if this fragrance consisted only in the fruity notes with a citric highlight, it could have been a better fragrance. The fruity notes are not as syrupy and sweet as their future spawns, they retain a certain vintage elegance and could have been playing the "starring role" of a good scent. Sadly, sometimes it is hard to ignore the aromatic notes and that is a big nuisance. Escada Sport Weekend definitely was a brick in the foundation for the fruity punches to be released in the following years by Escada.
Photo by Artist Brooke Larke on Unsplash

Let's talk about the packaging

I like the bottle, it has that sporty vibe, the orange colour does hint that it might contain an energetic citric fragrance. The fragrance feels like it was created in a hurry, just add a few notes here and there, make them blend, pour the perfume in an interesting bottle, launch it “fast and furious”, let the marketing department to the rest and... Hope for the best!

Escada Sport Spirit for me paints the picture of an active woman, the kind of fit, sporty woman that wakes up in the morning, goes swimming in her pool for an hour each day as morning exercise (hence the aquatic vibes I am perceiving), takes a nice, clean shower and afterwards applies a citric fruity fresh fragrance, but this fragrance is a hybrid between sportsy and elegant.
Photo by Artist Margot Pandone on Unsplash

I must admit sometimes curiosity kills the cat. I buy some vintage and discontinued fragrances out of sheer curiosity and Escada Sport Spirit is one of those purchases. A bottle was dangling under my nose at a good price so I snatched. I do not regret buying it, it was quite an experience and I don't hate it, I don't love it, I think of it as an experiment. I would say there is still room for improvement, in this case downsizing on the aromatic notes but this fragrance is discontinued thus here the story ends. Nostalgics will probably like it just the way it is. I don’t think I ever smelled anything like Escada Sport Spirit. It smells like a complete chaos but somehow it works and it doesn't!
I will keep my bottle around for the days when I feel chaos is a part of life and a part of this fragrance but at least the chaos inside this bottle is somewhat interesting.

Bazart-Chaos

In the end, I would like to add a small advice to my Dear Reader. Perfume is like a work of art, it strikes different chords within each individual. The interpretation of a work of art is very personal, profound and unique for each and every human being. If possible, test a perfume for yourself after reading a review. Also, do not forget to Love, Enjoy and Wear your Perfume of choice Proudly.

What is your favourite Escada fragrance? Let me know in the comment section. 


Thank you for reading this Scented Review and I wish you a Beautifully Scented Day! 


Disclaimer: My own scented opinion. Review based upon a bottle from my own collection.


SOURCES:
Images:
PerfumeMaster.com [Accessed 12th December 2017]
Unsplash [Accessed 12th December 2017]
Unsplash [Accessed 12th December 2017]
Unsplash [Accessed 12th December 2017]
Information:
Fragrantica.com [Accessed 12th December 2017]

Comments

Popular Scented Posts